Setting up a fish and chip shop?
What’s in the Name of a Fish and Chip Shop…? The importance of Branding!
On My Cod! Frying Nemo
New Cod on the Block The Codfather
Chip-In-Dales The Frying Squad
The Batter of Bosworth Contented Sole
So, what’s in a name? Will your cod and mushy peas taste better in “The Codfather” (my favourite name) or “Anne’s Fish and Chip Shop.” Will the chips be thicker in “Bill’s Plaice” or “Smiles?”
I often use a local company to us as an example of a great company name. Dreams plc, the bed company. Not content with setting up “High Wycombe Beds Limited”, the original owner came up with the name Dreams, made it a plc company and bought a great domain name, www.dreams.co.uk. He created an amazing business, his dream came true when he sold it for many millions!
This company name is easy to remember, it is different from all the other bed companies out there. It’s not about the product, it’s about the experience you have from using the product.
I had an interesting conversation with the Federation of Fish Friers recently and we spoke about branding. They were saying that to compete with McDonalds, KFC, Subway franchises, fish and chip shops are focusing on better branding.
Why is branding important?
• Customer retention. You might be the best fish and chip shop in the area, but wait until a fast food establishment opens up next door and you lose your clients to a Big Mac and chips. You need to create the reason why they will come back to you. Customers will associate your brand/profile with quality food, good value or customer service.
• Competition. Think about your competition. Is it a local kebab shop, a pub that does fish and chips, or companies like McDonalds? Branding is significantly more important if you have to compete with more established larger / franchise companies.
• Marketing. The press, people on social media will discuss interesting things. Again, an exciting brand will help promote you in this environment. Popping down to The Codfather for a take away sounds so much more fun that visiting Dave’s Chippy.
• Sale of the company. A great name and brand has a value. Get it right on day one to build your future retirement pot
• Think about expansion. The Batter of Bosworth is a great name for a fish an chip shop in Bosworth, but The Batter of Chesham does not have the same ring to it.
So many privately-owned fish and chip shops will not spend money on branding. Often there is a sound commercial reason for this. If you have a flash shop with amazing menu boards and bright neon signage out the front, some clients will associate this with higher prices. There is the perception that a tired old shop will provide more value for money. In certain towns, it makes a lot more sense to go for the shabby look.
Regardless as to whether you are the next Frying Nemo or City Chips, we wish you the best of luck.
And p.s. If you are looking to lease or finance any frying equipment for your shop…Please call our team for more information on 01494 611 456 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org